You certainly want to enjoy this wonderful and magical time in your life but you know that planning your own wedding is going to be a big job! The following checklists might make it a little easier for you to keep it simple, keep it organized and keep you sane!
The 12-Month Countdown
6-12 Months Before Your Wedding…
The wedding date has been set and now like any large project, it’s a good idea to step back and take a look at the big picture first, then break it down to the finer details later.
The Big Picture: Who, What, Where and How:
- Decide who will pay for what, where you’ll get married and how expenses will be shared
- Talk to friends, family, bridal consultants or wedding coordinators to get the direction you need for starting an organization system.
- For most couples, the wedding day can be a blur, so decide early on the best way to capture your special day’s cherished memories – like with an Adesso Photo Guest Book.
Once you have your organization system in place, start going down your to-do detail list. Here are a few of the critical ones:
- Call your church or synagogue for an appointment with the Officiant
- Explore pre-marriage counseling
- Decide on what size wedding you want
- Consider and decide on wedding attendants
- Start a guest list for the wedding
- Begin determining ideas/themes/color schemes for your wedding and reception
- Select a reception location and a caterer if need be
- Consider reception entertainment
- Select a florist
- Together, shop for wedding rings
- Select a wedding dress, headpiece and schedule fittings
- Decide on the bridesmaids’ dresses
4 – 6 Months Prior To Wedding Date…
As the wedding date gets closer, the to-do list will consist of finer and finer details. And because you put an organization system in place months ago, you won’t miss a one!
- Check details and requirements for marriage license
- Coordinate theme and color schemes with florist and decorator
- Decide on a gift registry and register your gift selections
- Order your invitations and other wedding stationery
- Shop for the groom’s attire and select what the men in the wedding will wear
- Select wedding ceremony readings
- Select wedding ceremony music
- Decide and order wedding favors
- Select a bakery for the cake
- Arrange and plan honeymoon
- Review your agreements with all your vendors and service providers to insure you haven’t forgotten any details.
2-Months… and Counting
- Mail out invitations
- Arrange and plan your rehearsal dinner
- Select and purchase your wedding day accessories
- Arrange attendant’s parties
- Coordinate and prepare accommodations for out-of-town guests
- Select a hairdresser and makeup artist and schedule those appointments
- Finalize those honeymoon plans
1-Month To Go!
- Last wedding dress fitting
- Final fitting for bridesmaids’ dresses
- Final fitting for men attendants
- Get marriage license
- Have your wedding attendant’s parties
- Shop and purchase your outfit to wear when you leave the reception
- Organize the final check list of wedding day events
- Confirm all the wedding day “accessories” are in order, i.e. rings, pillows, garter, etc.
2-Weeks Remaining! It’s finalizing time.
- Finalize entertainment arrangements
- Go over and finalize music lists, and special music events, i.e. first dance, dance with parents, etc.
1-Week Before Your Big Day!
- Review your marriage license to make sure it’s in order
- Prepare seating arrangements for ceremony
- Prepare payment envelopes for Officiate, entertainment and vendors and give to the person who will handle that
- Confirm honeymoon reservations
- Make necessary honeymoon preparations, i.e. bank, traveler’s checks, etc.
- Prepare and pack for honeymoon
- Confirm out-of-town guest accommodations and transportation
- Check in with the florist to confirm arrival time set up
- Have your wedding ceremony rehearsal letting everyone know what they will do on the wedding day
- Have and ENJOY your rehearsal dinner!
Your Wedding Day!
- Allow plenty of time for your scheduled hair and makeup appointments
- Allow at least 2 hours for dressing
- Bring the rings and marriage license
And MOST IMPORTANTLY, take a long deep breath and relax and enjoy your day!